Carmelite Sisters for the Aged and Infirm - Founding and Core Values
Venerable Mary Angeline Teresa McCrory spent her early years in Northern Ireland and Scotland and after entering and professing vows with the Little Sisters of the Poor in France, was assigned to homes in America. She developed a great love for the American people and wished to care for them according to living standards in the United States. When this was not possible within the Congregation of the Little Sisters of the Poor, with the guidance and assistance of Patrick Cardinal Hayes of New York, she and six other Sisters began the Carmelite Sisters for the Aged and Infirm on September 3, 1929 in an empty rectory in Upper Manhattan, New York. The Sisters now sponsor, co-sponsor or serve in 20 facilities in the United States and one in Dublin, Ireland. In Carmelite homes, Sisters and staff alike seek to carry out Mother Angeline’s philosophy of care. She stressed the dignity and worth of every older person and the need to provide more than an up to date facility. In her words we must bring Christ to every older person, “giving them his compassion, his interest, his loving care, his warmth morning noon and night. It means inspiring the lay people who work with us to give the same type of loving care.” This is summed up in the Carmelite Sisters’ slogan “The Difference is Love”sm and their core values of Hospitality, Compassion, Sanctity of Life and Shared Commitment.
Mother Angeline McCrory Manor
In 1948 Most Rev. Michael J. Ready acquired two large private homes and turned them over to the Carmelite Sisters for the Aged and Infirm for use as residences for the elderly. One became St. Raphael’s Home on Roxbury Road in Upper Arlington and the other St. Rita’s Home, first on East Broad Street and later on Greenlawn Avenue in Columbus. These small homes served the elderly for many years, but as the needs of the elderly changed and the buildings became obsolete, the decision was made to combine them into one larger, state of the art facility to be built on property donated to the Sisters by Most Rev. James A. Griffin. The current 147 bed home on East Broad Street opened in 2005 and was named Mother Angeline McCrory Manor after the Carmelite Sisters’ Foundress.
The Villas at St. Therese
In the mid- 1990’s, under the direction of Most Rev. James Griffin and Rev. Msgr Joseph Hendricks and with assistance from the HUD government program, the Diocese of Columbus undertook planning an Independent Living and Assisted Living facility. The Bishop and Msgr. Hendricks visited the Carmelite Motherhouse to ask then Prioress General Mother Kathleen Rosarie and her Council to have Sisters staff the new home. Three Sisters were later assigned to oversee the management of the complex which opened in 1999. Later Bishop Griffin donated land on the same site so the Sisters could build a skilled nursing facility. In 2014 the Carmelite Sisters purchased The Villas at St. Therese from the diocese, and now sponsors both The Villas and Mother Angeline McCrory Manor. The Villas at St. Therese has 75 independent living and 50 assisted living units
To learn more about our services / admissions please complete the form on this page or call us today at (614) 729-6608.
We're Here to Help, Drop Us a Line
Mother Angeline McCrory Manor or The Villas at St. Therese Phone Directory:
Please select from the numbers below to request information, schedule a tour, career information, contact a resident and more.
Front Desk / Directions
Support / Donate / Volunteer
Helping a Loved One?
Learn how to have a heart-to-heart conversation with aging parents.